Wednesday, February 2, 2011

The Lessons We Learn

I've learned a lot of lessons in my life, specifically over the last five years. Being an adult has not been the easiest, but it definitely has been the most rewarding. I have realized that I want some things so badly that I focus on them and forget to see everything else around me. I obsess over one thing, hoping and praying that I get it, while other beautiful things pass me by because I was too stubborn to see them.

In the words of K'naan (yes, I'm about to quote a rapper): "Any man who knows a thing knows he knows not a damn, damn thing at all." This is my life. I've realized that I really don't know anything at all- the things I want are very different than the things I need. While that may seem a terrifying notion, it's ultimately very comforting. I can't rely on myself because I don't know anything. I can only rely on God because, in reality, He's the only one who knows what I need. The trick is training myself to quit staring at the things I want and realizing that there is so much better to be had.

1 comment:

  1. susie! i just found your blog! and it made my day. you are great. it has been too long! too too long! update me! or, i could just read the rest of your blog. which i will, one day. you are beautiful! i miss you! p.s. i had this exact same blog background once. we must be kindred spirits.

    ReplyDelete