Tuesday, July 13, 2010

... I Hiked Through a Cave

Last Summer I went to Guatemala with my cousin Anna, her husband Daniel, and Daniel's friend Sergio. It was incredible and we had a blast! One of my favorite things we did (and favorite things I've ever done while traveling) was hike through a cave in an area called Semuc Champey. It's one of the most beautiful places I've been- you are literally surrounded by jungle and there's a huge river and natural hot pools to swim in. Gorgeous.
Anyway, there's a cave that you can hike through with a Guatemalan guide for a handful of quetzals. But when I say hike I really mean swim. Most of the time is spent swimming through the cave, climbing up waterfalls, and cliff jumping into deep pools. And did I mention this is all in the dark? I've never seen such absolute darkness- we're talking can't-see-your-hand-in front-of-your-face dark. It was amazing! We were given little candles to take with us and that was our only light source. We had to carry them in our mouth while swimming and it was hilarious trying to keep them lit. I absolutely loved the whole thing. The only nerve-wracking part was toward the end when we had to jump down a little hole into total blackness. We literally couldn't see what we were going to land in (turned out to be another pool). So fun! I'd go back and do it again in a second...except for it's in Guatemala. Dang it.
About to climb a waterfall.

Daniel and me getting ready to swim across another pool.

No comments:

Post a Comment