Friday, July 20, 2012

"Dem bones, dem bones, dem dry bones. Now hear the word of the Lord!"

Those are the lyrics of a song I had stuck in my head on June 28th when I turned 25 in the Czech Republic! It was a great birthday- my parents went out that morning and got me the most random presents they could find and it was great!! I got an umbrella, some ketchup bears (these are chips, not stuffed animals), a drink, and a bright pink donut. I would like to commend the Czech people for trying to make donuts- it certainly looked good but eating it was a whole different experience… The umbrella ended up saving us at the end of the trip when it got really rainy and windy.

We celebrated by going to Kutna Hora and seeing the famous “bone church.” It was pretty great. The inside of the church was decorated with thousands of human bones. After getting over the initial creepiness of it, I actually started to appreciate the artistry that went behind the project.






We then explored the city and went to St. Barbara’s cathedral. I mentioned before that we saw a lot of cathedrals on this trip but St. Barbara’s seemed different to me. The outside looked different and it was more peaceful than any other I had been in.




We walked around for a while, found a little Charles Bridge in the city, and went to an art museum. Now, I really enjoy art museums sometimes- I have little to no artistic ability so I like to go appreciate the work of those who do. But my favorite thing to do is go to art museums with my family. Let me explain how the Petersons go through an exhibit:

Jon: “What is this?”
Dad: Funny snort laugh, “Yeah, this is pretty bad.”
The rest of us nod in agreement.
Jon: “Ok, I’m going to count to five and then we all have to point to the one we’d want in our house. Ready?”
The rest of us laugh and frantically search for the least awful piece in the room.

This games continues in each room of the exhibit. Some rooms proved more challenging than others- at one point Kelsi ended up pointing at the ceiling because she didn’t know what else to do. Can you blame her when all the paintings were of nude ladies?

I would like to note that we don’t think all art is bad. There were quite a few pieces that we all enjoyed. But let’s be honest- you’d play the game with us too.

No comments:

Post a Comment