Friday, July 20, 2012

It's how we do

My family likes food. A lot. Almost all of our family traditions revolve around food. The way we travel revolves around food. So naturally I need a post dedicated to the food we ate in Europe, right? In the Czech Republic we ate a lot of goulash. A lot and lot of goulash. Most of it was pretty tasty, especially with knedliky (bread dumplings). My favorite was called segedinsky goulash. It was delightful!



Another dish we had was halusky. It was delicious- a sort of small gnocchi-like dumpling mixed with bryndza cheese and chunks of bacon. Some had sauerkraut as well. I’m not going to lie- I really miss it.




Fruit dumplings were also a favorite. Desserts are not particularly sweet but I loved these. The dumplings were most often filled with strawberries and were topped with sugar, soft cheese, and butter. Sounds weird, but was delicious.



While in Austria we spent half a day in Italy and ate an amazing dinner there. You really can’t go wrong eating pasta in Italy. The food was delicious, beautiful, and fresh. On the complete opposite (but just as tasty) end of the food spectrum, we spent a day in Germany and ate great German food. It was hearty and filling and we ate the best dessert ever there- German pancakes. I have decided to devote the rest of my life to trying to recreate that dish.


No comments:

Post a Comment